Free to Run Programme Officer
Central Highlands, Afghanistan
Opening Closes by March 15, 2017
Position: Free to Run Programme Officer
Reports to: Country Programme Manager, Free to Run, Afghanistan
Free to Run’s mission is to use running, physical fitness and outdoor adventure to empower and educate women and girls who have been affected by conflict. We support those living within conflict areas as well as those who have been forced to flee and live as refugees outside of their home countries.
Free to Run launched our programs in Afghanistan in September 2014, and today we’re operating in three different provinces. Our programs include running and sporting clubs, mix-gender sports, life skills training, leadership training, and advocacy. This is an exciting opportunity for an Afghan national who is passionate about women’s rights, has a love for the outdoors and sports, and is looking for development work experience with an international NGO. All interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Afghanistan@freetorun.org by February 19th.
1. Activities to be carried out by Officer
The Officer implements and coordinates Free to Run activities in the Central Highlands, in close coordination with and reporting to Free to Run’s Country Programme Manager.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities Will Include (but not be limited to):
- Coordinating the day to day activities of Free to Run’s three programme areas including
- Organizing running and physical activities in (liaising with schools; tracking participants’ lists; coordinating volunteer schedules; paying instructors; organizing training for national instructors; and so on.
- Supporting hiking activities (liaising with organisers, volunteers and participants; reimbursing transportation costs where appropriate; tracking participants and organising photos and feedback stories)
- Managing programme funds for activities (maintain records; receive and disburse funds; obtain receipts; manage petty cash)
- Regularly communicating with Free to Run’s Afghan ambassadors and coordinating their participation in events.
- Supporting Free to Run’s social media strategy (providing photos and human interest stories in line with Free to Run’s communications policy of not identifying participants by full name or visual recognition)
- Assisting Free to Run’s Afghanistan Country Programme Manager as needed
- Preparing and submitting timely and quality financial and narrative reports
- Providing logistical support for visits of Free to Run board members and partners to Afghanistan
- Interacting with partners as instructed by Free to Run’s Country Manager and President
- Tracking security developments and providing feedback to Free to Run’s Afghanistan Programme Manager on potential security concerns
2. Specific Outputs & Deliverables
- Monthly financial and narrative reports in line with templates provided by Free to Run
- Weekly attendance sheets in line with templates provided by Free to Run
- Inputs into the annual work plan for 2017
The successful candidate must:
- Be passionate about women's empowerment, international development, and appreciate sports and adventure.
- Have the ability to work independently and against multiple deadlines.
- Be organized, able to multi-task, and a creative problem solver.
- Have demonstrated ability to coordinate logistics and implement action plans.
- Be willing and ready to learn quickly.
- Have prior work experience with local non-profits.
- Have excellent written communication skills and able to use Microsoft Office programmes, email and social media.
- Speak English and Dari.
Specifics of Duty Station:
The Officer will be based in the Central Highlands and may travel occasionally to other provinces for coordination meetings or to other parts of Afghanistan for project activities.